This page sets out the National Transport Authority's [NTA] policy with regard to the privacy of the users of the Carsharing.ie website. By visiting this website, you are agreeing to the terms of this privacy statement. If you are not happy with the terms of this privacy statement and do not wish your information to be recorded, you may wish to leave this site.
The NTA is registered with the Data Protection Commissioners.
NTA respects the rights of its users and, except for the following list, does not collect personal information through the Carsharing website:
- Statistical information gathered automatically when you visit the website
- Information provided voluntarily in searching or seeking a Carsharing match
- Information provided voluntarily during the submission of a 'My Carsharing' story.
- When registering on our site, as appropriate, you may be asked to enter your name, e-mail address, smoking preference and gender. You may optionally provided your phone number when requesting or approving a trip request.
- Occasionally, we may conduct surveys to understand better the needs of our members in order to improve our features. We sometimes share the aggregated information in these surveys with the Department of Tranport or partner organisations. We never share any information about a specific Member with any third party without that Member's express consent.
- Your password is fully encrypted and cannot be viewed by anyone, including us.
Use of data
- We use your email information to provide journey matching features. At a Member's request we will send out emails notifying the Member of a request to Carshare or replies to their Carsharing requests
- We also provide the option for the Member to allow other Members to respond to postings directly via their email.
- We may also send you email notifications of specific changes to the Website and/or Facilities. We never share individual email addresses, with any third parties, including our Smarter Travel Workplaces Partner organisations, without your consent.
For general web browsing, certain information is recorded in the website log files, which may include:
- The top level domain name from which you access the internet
- The IP address of the computer from which you access the website
- The date and time each computer accesses the website
- The pages accessed and the documents downloaded by each computer
- The type and version of the browsers being used to access the website
- The addresses of any third party webpages which refer visitors to our website
- Keywords used in search engines and directories to find our website
- Keywords and phrases used to search our website.
This information is used for statistical purposes only - including:
- to find out how many people are visiting the website
- to identify what pages are accessed most frequently
- to help us improve the information we are supplying to our users
- to make our site more user friendly.
This information is made available to an agent of NTA who provides an analysis and reporting service to NTA. This agent of NTA has provided written confirmation to NTA that they will comply with the relevant data protection obligations by keeping information secure and not using it for any purpose other than which it was provided. An archive of these website log files and associated analysis and reports are retained indefinitely in NTA as a way of measuring patterns of website traffic over the years and in order to facilitate future planning.
Storage of personal information
Personal information submitted is kept on a server belonging to and administered by NTA or an agent of NTA who provides website hosting services and/or the email alert software. This agent of NTA is registered with the Data Protection Commission and has provided written confirmation to NTA that they will comply with the relevant data protection obligations by keeping information secure and not using it for any purpose other than for which it was provided.
For backup purposes, copies of personal information and subscriber lists are stored on secure servers to which agents of NTA have remote access for the purposes of providing website development, maintenance or hosting services.
Disclosure of personal information
The names and counties of subscribers to the 'My Carsharing' competition may be published on the website, should their stories be approved.
If a member joins a private group their name, gender, smoking preference and trip details are available to that group administrator.
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety.
Security of your personal information
Due to the nature of the internet we cannot guarantee the security of any information whilst it is being transmitted to us via the internet. However, we take our security responsibilities very seriously and take all reasonable steps (both technical and organisational) to protect your personal details once they have been received by NTA. Staff who have access to personal information gathered from the websites are made aware of Data Protection responsibilities. Names of the NTA staff members who have access to this information are available on request.
Your right of access to personal information
You may inform us of any changes in your personal data and in accordance with our obligations under the Data Protection Acts 1998 and 2003 we will update or delete your personal data accordingly.
We are in compliance with the requirements ____ Act), we do not collect any information from anyone under__ years of age. Our website is directed to people who are at least 18 years old or older.
To find out what personal data we hold on you or to have your personal data updated, amended or removed from our files please contact us using the details below.
Privacy statements on third party websites
Where the NTA website provides links to third party websites, these links are provided for information purposes only and NTA is not responsible for the content, copyright or privacy policies of these websites.
Terms and Conditions
Please also visit our Terms and Conditions section establishing the use, disclaimers, and limitations of liability governing the use of our website here.
Should you have any concerns about your privacy or any of the issues covered in this statement, please contact email@example.com.